Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh
Buhl grants in excess of: $1,000,000
Photographer: Marc Soracco
Nearly 3 million people visit a Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh branch each year, more than the combined attendance of all Pittsburgh Steelers and Pittsburgh Pirates home games. That attendance makes Carnegie Library the region’s most visited asset. It was on the North Side of Pittsburgh that Andrew Carnegie first visited the private library of Colonel James Anderson and it was on the North Side of Pittsburgh that one of Andrew Carnegie’s first free libraries formally opened on February 20, 1890. Some 118 years later, Carnegie Library broke ground on a new North Side Branch that opened to the public in 2009. With a lead funding gift of $1 million from the Buhl Foundation, the new North Side Library, located at the intersection of Federal and North Avenues, reflects many of Buhl’s key focus areas including education, youth development, economic development and improving the quality of life on the North Side. More recently, Buhl has provided additional gifts to raise awareness of Carnegie Library’s importance as a regional institution.